Question:   Can I protect my home from creditors?

Answer:   Your state may provide you with special protection from creditors through the filing of a homestead exemption, which exempts some or all of the value of the owner's equity in the homestead from claims of unsecured creditors.

Deciding whether or not to file a homestead exemption often depends on an individual's situation. Contact your county recorder's office for details.

Atlanta Communities